Craster Harbour





Craster War

History Walk




Archway - Tower Bank
Art Gallery
Captain Craster Memorial
Chapel Row
Church Street
Coastguard Cottages Coquet View
Craster Tower
Craster Village
Distant Shores
Dunstanburgh Castle
Dunstanburgh Road
Haven Hill
Iron Age Settlement
Jolly Fisherman
Little Adam's House
Memorial Hall
Methodist Chapel
Middle Rigg
Quarry, Aerial
Ropeway and Bins

Radar Station
Reservoir 'Tank'
Robson's Smokehouse
St Peter the Fisherman
The 'Shute'
The 'Square'
Summer House
We Can Mind the Time
West End Cottages
Whin Hill
World War Two


For the loss of local boats and lives follow this link:

Craster Fishing Tragedies

George Browell, who was a member of the coastguard in Cresswell and then Craster wrote a list of local shipwrecks that can be downloaded here as a Word Document.

GB List of Local Wrecks (.doc)

The boiler that is visible at low tide between Muckle Carr and the Jolly Fisherman is all that is left of the Managua, which came onshore in November 1907.

The boiler of the 'Managua' on 24th July 2012
Photo:Peter Howard

The rocky foreshore next to the children's playground is scored by deep grooves, running parallel with the waves.

The marks left on the foreshore by the Haarafager
Photo: Peter Howard

These were made by the wreck of the Haarafager, 11th December 1928. The concrete footings of the cranes that were used when the hulk was broken up can still be found on the headland in the photograph, just to the south of the village.

The Haarafager
Photo source: WR Archbold

The submarine G11 came ashore on November 22nd 1918, a short distance to the north of the Bathing House on Howick Bay.

The Submarine, G11
Photo source: Jack Browell

The German ship Worms came ashore south of Craster in October 1907.

The Worms
Photo source: Jack Browell

A Craster Panorama

Home Programme Membership Archive War Memorials History Walk Miscellanea Links Contact Us